About Me

My photo
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
This blog is dedicated to the low-carb menu challenge presented by Jimmy Moore. I'm living the Louisiana low carb lifestyle, where low-carb is the new way to go ! I live southwest of New Orleans, Louisiana....have three awesome kids. We are deep down in the heart of sweet Cajun Country, where we kick back and relax, go hunting, fishing, or make groceries! My doctor told me that my blood pressure numbers were getting too high, so I had to loose weight. She challenged me with ten pounds in three months. That was October 7, 2008. I lost 26 pounds !!! In February of 2011, I found that I had gained a few pounds more than I would have liked, weighing in at 170 pounds. I had to get back into the swing of living the low carb life again !! I am loving the 'low-carb' style and wish to contiue it . I exercise three times a week at the gym, and off the 'off' days, I learn to RELAX !! November 2011, finds me in different circumstances -- a new lifestyle, great community of friends and a challenge to keep that 45 pounds that I lost OFF. Feel free to read my blog, browse around, or just sit a spell!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Exercise and Me: A Love Story




I thought I'd kick off today's blog by telling you what's been incredibly GOOD for me over the last couple of months.  For most of my adult life, I thought a hard day's work was a substitute for exercise.  If I felt mentally and physically exhausted at the end of the day, I thought it meant I was keeping myself fit enough.

This felt especially true after being on my feet all day -- teaching middle school students and dealing with their roller coaster of emotions and 'I just don't get this' attitude. THEY got it. My students wanted more than anything to be outside, part of the environment. A bench to sit on and relax.  A tree to mellow out and envelop the sun.  It just made sense to them.

A couple of years ago, I underwent a hysterectomy that forced me to be immobile for two months. I learned the hard way, NEVER schedule surgery during the months of June, July and August in Louisiana. These are the prime months for HURRICANES to develop.  I had my surgery in early August. September 1st Hurricane Gustave hit.  The kids and I had to evacuate, as my husband was on emergency call with the chemical plant.  I drove four hours to find a hotel.  When everything was over, I came back to New Orleans. Electricity was out, it was HOT, I was miserable.. my stitches got infected... I need say nothing further.

I was forced into bed rest for two months.  I realized I had all the time in the world to reevaluate things.  Slowly, I started getting back into the world of exercising.  I did not mind getting up earlier. I actually began looking forward to my new found freedom (TIME).. and rehabilitation.  I actually joined a gym.. using the machines inside to help me get back into shape. If you have ever had any type of major abdominal surgery  you KNOW how slow of a process this can be.  (Not to mention the pain).

I reflect on this today, because we all have to start somewhere. We have to work through the pain to GAIN insight.  I exercise and continue to do it because I think clearer and faster. I'm a more patient person, and have more energy. I wonder how much I could have accomplished if I'd discovered all of this sooner ??

When it comes to food, I do not believe in counting calories or fat grams. I count CARBS.   Counting calories and fat grams took the air out of the balloon for me. You have to find out what works for YOU.  Once my brain realized that a carb = sugar. Everything clicked.  I do believe in enjoying all things in moderation.  I even snuck in a slice of carrot cake from the local farmer's market last week !

I hope my story motivates you to get healthy and happy.   I'm going to try to fill my blog chock full of interesting topics, along with my daily diet and exercise routine.  I hope to speak to that little voice in each of you -- the one that tells you to treat yourself better from here on out.

Have a great day !!

2 comments:

Vadim said...

Wow, it is an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing. Are you a teacher? Also, congratulation on 14 pounds weight loss. I think it's awesome. I always wanted to visit new Orleans, one day I will. I love traveling but lately it's not happening. I am catching up reading your blog. Love it!

bayoubabe said...

Thanks Vadim. Yes I'm a teacher. You would love the Big Easy and the low carb way of life down here. Thanks for the wonderful comments, I appreciate it !!

Total Pageviews