About Me

My photo
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
This blog is dedicated to the low-carb menu challenge presented by Jimmy Moore. I'm living the Louisiana low carb lifestyle, where low-carb is the new way to go ! I live southwest of New Orleans, Louisiana....have three awesome kids. We are deep down in the heart of sweet Cajun Country, where we kick back and relax, go hunting, fishing, or make groceries! My doctor told me that my blood pressure numbers were getting too high, so I had to loose weight. She challenged me with ten pounds in three months. That was October 7, 2008. I lost 26 pounds !!! In February of 2011, I found that I had gained a few pounds more than I would have liked, weighing in at 170 pounds. I had to get back into the swing of living the low carb life again !! I am loving the 'low-carb' style and wish to contiue it . I exercise three times a week at the gym, and off the 'off' days, I learn to RELAX !! November 2011, finds me in different circumstances -- a new lifestyle, great community of friends and a challenge to keep that 45 pounds that I lost OFF. Feel free to read my blog, browse around, or just sit a spell!!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Does Protein in a Low Carb diet build muscle ??


This question has become quite the ''hot topic'' of conversation in the low carb community lately.  I've asked a few people about it, but to get the real answer, I asked my friend, Dr. Michael Hellemn for his view on the subject.

"Pretty simple with the protein. Protein does not actually build muscle, exercise does. You can drink those muscle-builder protein shakes all day and never look like the person on the cover of the package. You still have to get to the gym. The protein goes into the blood, and is only taken out by the muscle that needs it. So, if a muscle gets stressed, it decides that it better expand. Then it looks into the blood for the building supplies. Bone is the same way. When bone is stressed, it adds more mineral to become stronger. Calcium will not make your bone stronger. Exercise will make the bone want to add calcium.


The blood is very much like one of those conveyor-belt sushi restaurants. I don't know if you have ever seen one. The restaurant has a conveyor belt on the counter. The customers sit at the counter and take off the sushi that they want. I may be in the mood for mackerel, so I may wait for a mackerel dish to go by on the conveyor belt.


My old gym had a poster with a photo of 2 guys. One was a chubby couch potato, and the other was a slim muscular athlete. The caption said "Both of these men are 6 foot and 200 pounds". The men have the same BMI, but their health is likely quite different."
 
I appreciate the explanation on protein Dr. Hellemn. Thank you for your insight on this subject !

No comments:

Total Pageviews