- New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
- This blog is dedicated to the low-carb menu challenge presented by Jimmy Moore. I'm living the Louisiana low carb lifestyle, where low-carb is the new way to go ! I live southwest of New Orleans, Louisiana....have three awesome kids. We are deep down in the heart of sweet Cajun Country, where we kick back and relax, go hunting, fishing, or make groceries! My doctor told me that my blood pressure numbers were getting too high, so I had to loose weight. She challenged me with ten pounds in three months. That was October 7, 2008. I lost 26 pounds !!! In February of 2011, I found that I had gained a few pounds more than I would have liked, weighing in at 170 pounds. I had to get back into the swing of living the low carb life again !! I am loving the 'low-carb' style and wish to contiue it . I exercise three times a week at the gym, and off the 'off' days, I learn to RELAX !! November 2011, finds me in different circumstances -- a new lifestyle, great community of friends and a challenge to keep that 45 pounds that I lost OFF. Feel free to read my blog, browse around, or just sit a spell!!
Friday, March 25, 2011
Eggs: 8 Healthy Facts
Eggs : 8 Healthy Facts !!
From nutritional benefits to ancient symbolism, we've got eight things we bet you didn't know about eggs.
By Chloe Thompson
Ancient cultures, such as the Egyptians, Persians, and Hindus, believed the world began as a large egg, one reason the egg is a symbol of new life.
Recommended Related to Diet & Weight Management - Enjoy Your Vacation Without Gaining a Pound
You work hard all year to earn your vacation, a coveted chance to relax and enjoy family and friends without the pressures of work. But while a vacation is a time to have fun, it shouldn't be a time to sabotage your weight-loss success. I like to think of vacation as a time for "social weight maintenance" -- a time to splurge a little and enjoy the festivities, but without gaining weight. Dine out without overdoing it. What better time than a vacation to break free from daily duties...
Read the Enjoy Your Vacation Without Gaining a Pound article > >
Individual hens in the United States lay about 250 to 300 eggs per year.
Most Extreme Egg
The heaviest egg, laid by a New Jersey hen in 1956, is reported to have been 1 pound.
White House Easter Egg Roll
The first White House Easter Egg Roll took place in 1878 on President Rutherford B. Hayes’ lawn, after a law was passed forbidding children to play on the Capitol grounds.
Egg Nutrition I
One hard-boiled egg provides 17 grams of protein and only 72 calories.
Egg Nutrition II
The yolk is the major source of the egg’s vitamins and minerals. Egg whites are an excellent source of low-fat protein.
Every year, about 40,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with a diarrheal illness caused by salmonella; undercooked eggs are one source.
Why "Deviled" Eggs?
There’s nothing evil about deviled eggs; “deviled” refers to the spices used in the recipe.
Baked Apples With Warm Custard Sauce
Makes 8 servings
4 large apples, halved, seeds and cores removed
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups low-fat milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place apples cut-side up on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Set aside.
4. To make vanilla custard, whisk together eggs, sugar, and milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
5. Slowly cook custard over low heat until thickened (coating the back of a wooden spoon).
6 Add salt and vanilla. Let cool until warm.
7. Pour warm custard sauce over apples. Garnish with toasted almonds.
Per serving: 228 calories, 8 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (2g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 33 g sugar, 93 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 24%.